Mortal Kombat: Conquest
Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins
Mortal Kombat: DOTR

Cast
Video Cast Bio's
Game Cast Bio's
Cast Interviews

Google

All Kontent is ©Total Mortal Kombat 1999 - 2014 and may not be used on another website without permission from the webmaster.

totalmortalkombat.com Forum Index -> Mortal Kombat: Deception Discussion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    
 It's 2009 and this is probably the best game by far. View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jay
An Empty Shell
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 900755

Items

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 pm   
Post subject: It's 2009 and this is probably the best game by far.

I don't get why the MK team just don't stick to the good ol' formula. Why do they have to keep reinventing things?

It's simple really...

*20-26 characters
*At least two unique, M rated finish moves per character
*10+ interactive arenas
*Konquest Mode that is on par with Deception
*Minigame
*Online play
*Lots of extras/unlockable content

All of this equals one perfect game

However, Armageddon effed things up by giving all characters the same finishing moves. Also, in order to include every past character, a lot of the fighters were watered down. Lastly, because of the effort put into the Create-a-Fighter feature, Armageddon suffered limitations in Konquest mode and the general story-telling was somewhat fractured (no bios, no rendered endings, plotholes, etc).

Next, MKvDC completely dropped previous game mechanics and focused entirely on iconic imagery from the past, while cashing in on the DC Universe. In the end we get T rated eye candy that doesn't really move the series forward.

C'mon, MK team. What the hell happened?!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

deathrider
TMK Power Overwhelming
TMK Power Overwhelming

TMK Koins: 2630

Items

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:09 pm   
Post subject:

MK:A was always going to seem like a poor man's MK game. It was simply a case of quantity over quality, which leads to the exacts problems that you've mentioned. Personally, it doesn't bother me too much though, because I don't see it as a proper MK game. OK, so it is recognized as a proper MK, but only because it advances the story-line a bit. Apart from that though, it's just MK Trilogy for the Xbox/ PS2 generation. Tacky instead of classy.

MK Vs DCU was defo not a proper MK, and it annoys me that so many people see it as one. Let the hatred go already, folks, it's been a whole year! It was simply a fun side-project, just the same as the old Street Fighter Vs X-Men game about a decade ago. However, MK Vs DCU is a step in the right direction. It revamps the old arcade style of fighting, which is where MK was born (and is still where MK was at it's strongest).
If they take those mechanics, add in gore, fatalities, deathtraps and all the other shit that makes Mortal Kombat Mortal Kombat then they could really be onto something for the next game.

www.myspace.com/freakwencyband

Jay
An Empty Shell
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 900755

Items

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 pm   
Post subject:

Hear hear!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Albert Simon
Demon Slayer
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 2147483147

Items

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:31 pm   
Post subject:

It is probably the last true MK. MKA was just all characters to date thrown into one game with pretty much no story to it, MK:SM was the biggest mistake since they created Sindel in MK and MK vs DCU, okay gameplay but really doesn't make sense to have mk characters in the same game as DC, although Green Lantern rocks.
Although the list of characters leaves a lot to be desired. It pretty much gives the few characters that are in every MK, some new characters and the filler characters from MK2 and 3 ie Sindel(Comic Book Guy review: Worst character EVER), Nightwolf and an improved Ermac and Kebal. Nightwolf was always okay but a really minor character.
MKD a good game but it lacks a lot of good classic characters like Quan Chi and Fujin. Although it does introduce some very good new characters like Hotaru. I would say the best one to date is MK gold for a few reasons: I prefer the way it's endings are, it has a good character line up and good gamplay.

"Why should people trust me? They don't have any reason to, yet. Distrust is human nature. Distrust creates doubt and doubt causes people to miss judge the intention of others. But people can change, can't they?"

"Time changes nothing, the world today is still filled with madness and rage."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

deathrider
TMK Power Overwhelming
TMK Power Overwhelming

Items

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 pm   
Post subject:

I agree that the likes off Nightwolf and Sektor never really had a fair chance. It would be nice to see some of these "filler" characters get the chance to evolve. Rain is a great example of this. The only time we've ever seen him in a line-up, is in hugely over-populated MK games (UMK3, MK:T and MK:A). These characters have some great potential, but have never been able to grow.

Ps. What's wrong with Sindel?

the-original-razer
Kombat Konnoisseur
TMK Elder God

TMK Koins: 60

Items

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:44 pm   
Post subject:

Yeah whats wrong with Sindel?
The Worst Kharacter ever is klearly Kobra.
And im serious!....................lol^-^

All the best,
Razer Scorpion

PS3 Trophies
Facebook: John Razer
Bebo: the_original_razer
Youtube: theoriginalrazer
Twitter: OriginalRazer

Highest Kreate-A-Fatality: 11 (Ultimate Fatality)

Albert Simon
Demon Slayer
TMK Sage

Items

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 am   
Post subject:

Sindel is the biggest filler character of the lot.They were so desperate to fill in a place that they chose a random, already pretty much filler character and gave her a mother.
I like lemons so I'll say vodka instead of lemon juice.
To rub some vodka on my vendetta against Sindel they deliverred a final blow by giving her the place in Puzzle Kombat that would have been a hundred times more suited to my second favourite character in the series.

I hope that answers the question as to what is wrong with Sindel.

"Why should people trust me? They don't have any reason to, yet. Distrust is human nature. Distrust creates doubt and doubt causes people to miss judge the intention of others. But people can change, can't they?"

Last edited by Albert Simon on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

deathrider
TMK Power Overwhelming
TMK Power Overwhelming

Items

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:58 am   
Post subject:

Personally I think Sindel worked great as one of the villains in MK3. I would have liked her to continue as a bad guy, instead of becoming all goody goody.
I've never, however, seen her as a filler character. There are plenty of fillers to choose from in the MK universe, but I can't imagine Sindel fitting in with that catagorey.
To say that she was the mother of another filler seems a bit absurd to me. Kitana was one of the crucial threads that held the MKII plot together. Her story interlinked with Jade, Milleena, Shao Kahn, and (I'm pretty sure) Reptile- Making her a pivotal part of the game.

the-original-razer
Kombat Konnoisseur
TMK Elder God

TMK Koins: 60

Items

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:59 pm   
Post subject:

Sorry man but im behind DeathRider on this one. Sindel was kool in mk3.
So was Kitana.

All the best,
Razer Scorpion

PS3 Trophies
Facebook: John Razer
Bebo: the_original_razer
Youtube: theoriginalrazer
Twitter: OriginalRazer

Highest Kreate-A-Fatality: 11 (Ultimate Fatality)

Kombatant22
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

TMK Koins: 125

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 am   
Post subject: I agree to disagree with you on that, my dear Watson!

I kinda agree that Kitana could be kinda like a filler - considering that she is supposedly a ninja along the lines of a subzero, scorpion type. Also she does not have any particular clan allegiance, like Sub Zero with the Lin Kuei or Scorpion with the Shirai Ryu.

But to say that Sindel is a filler too? I think not! She debuted in MKIII with 14 other characters in what is perhaps the 3rd smallest MK lineup (i'm talking about consoles, not mini-handheld gameboy failures). You dont put fillers in small MK rosters, you put them in overhauled (or overrigged) lineups like MKTrilogy or Armageddon.

Sindel, herself, and her character could stand alone with or without Kitana, especially as a villian. As a matter of fact, and some might think I've totally lost it for saying this, but if you watched MK Annihilation, there could be points where Sindel could have held her own, if it wasn't for the writers - she has enough power to defeat anyone. Unfortunately, "could" doesn't mean "did," and Sindel got her ass handed to her easily.

Now, none of the above (that I said) is important. If you read it - well, too bad. I don't feel sorry for ya. The first post in this forum is what every1 should be reading. As a response to it.....

Many things that Mortal Kombat should have is everything Jay said including this.....

1. totally rated M game. there should be not a single portion of this game that is rated T (except for the attire of the women - which, so far, has been good, i'm not complaining about it so far. Just no nude Kombatants at the startup screen - clothes can come off during the fight - to an extent (definitely no clothes coming off guys, just gals) - clothes can tear or become wet during fights near the water or in the mud (inspired by Mileena and Sonya). Accessories can come off of characters when struck, like hats, in Rayden's case, or in Johnny Cage's case, $500 pairs of glasses.

2. The cover of the game is totally black. No skulls. Just the Dragon logo. It should be on multiple consoles except wii. This game isn't meant to be nor take the place of Wii fit.

3. 20-26 fighters seems kinda extensive - it leaves space for fillers. I think 15-18 is appropriate with about 6 unlockables. And Bosses are Not playable!

4. Fighting mechanics - everyone has their own set of styles (some can have similar styles).

5. Weapons.....NOT on every level. Some arenas contain weapons, others don't. Weapons just don't come out of our hands, people! That's what made each game after MK3, rather cheesy.

6. Characters need to be more detailed in the game.

7. Each character needs to have their own specific arena where they relate. Like if Kano somehow ended up in the next MK game, the location should not be in outworld, but in the Black Dragon HQ (headquarters for those who dont know....).

8. Finishing moves are supposed to be M rated! There should be no way around that if you are making an M rated game. That's what the ESRB rating is for.

9. Deception had a nice konquest mode. That is a good idea that should be repeated and built upon. Each character should have their own verson of konquest - that makes total sense to me. Why not?

10. Work needs to be done in the rewards section. The guy who made the krypt idea needs to be fired! Perhaps one of the worst ideas invented for MK. I'm damn sure many gamers were pissed off for paying coins for krypts that contained junk. No more crypt!
Artwork (especially CG work, monochrome, and perhaps 3D renders will help this department) instead of the poor character renders in past games, in addition to videos (few about making the game and more about endings or beautiful cutscenes!) Cameo appearances in the background of arenas would be a nice minimal reward, like Khameleon or Reptile in peering around trees in the forest, or Kung Lao or Liu Kang walking in the background of the Shaolin temple observing the fight. Bios and hidden twists would be nice rewards for gamers beating 1player mode or conquest sections. Hidden characters could be achieved by making achievement lists like in Madden or going online like with XBOX 360 achievements (like going online easily gives you an extra character, or doing 10 or 20 fatalities gives you an extra character, defeating a foe with low blows during a match gives you Johnny Cage's autograph pic, stuff like that! Why the hell didn't anyone at Midway think of this before?). Note: look at Soul Calibur, their rewards for achievements are amazing and worth it! That really improves the replay value. If us gamers want to play a game again, we don't want to be bored doing it, we need adventure and something to look to!

The Koin system would probably work if we traded Koins online - otherwise, THAT was also a failure, especially in Deadly Alliance.

11. We need more than just 3 minigames. Six minigames would be just right. If you want to bring one back to the next game, get the puzzle fighter game. MK Racing was eh......on 2nd thought, i dont want that back.

12. I want the absolute best from whoever is making the next Mortal Kombat game. I speak for many of my fellow gamers when I say that I deserve to get what I paid for from buying an MK game! (or any game for that matter. gamers keep getting crappy games shoved down their throats each month, MK shouldnt fall under that category - it's been failure after failure for many years)

13. If Jade returns, give her a bigger role than just Kitana's "friend". With her physique and sex appeal, she could do much better than that.

14. MK shouldn't be afraid to make connections with other franchises. A game franchise which would be nice would be Battle Arena Toshinden. Sophia kicking Sonya's butt all over Outworld would be nice to see. At the same time, MK made a huge mistake with DC. Mortal kombat characters are not meant to be super strong, like Superman or Wonder Woman, they are meant to be realistic and human (it's called "Mortal" Kombat for a reason!). Nonetheless, they made a huge attempt in going about it they way they did. That idea showed ballz from the MK crew. Other possible franchises would be Fighting Vipers (which is like Toshinden), D.O.A. (that's gonna be a stretch since that is a strong rival), Grand Theft "Fricking" Auto (now that makes sense!), and Metal Gear Solid (there are memorable and usable characters there - not to mention that it ranks right above MK in the best selling video gaming franchises of all time - why not go out on a limb and use these franchises a little?).

15. There should not be a collectors edition (enough of that stuff - if you companies want money, make these games for the masses, not just for the early birds). Everyone who buys the game should get what it has to offer - I can't stress that enough.

16. One more thing - MK should make itself different in the console than in the arcades in a huge way - except the controls. The arcade should offer different arenas to fight in and one or two extra playable characters that are not offered in the consoles.

17. Bosses should not be playable (i think i said that before) whether they are two legged or one legged or four armed or two armed or one armed or four legged or midget sized or elder gods or goblins.

18. Back to the finishing moves. There should be 3 fatalities (2 unique fatalities and a fatality regarding a weapon on the level that can be picked up). Brutalities, babalities, animalities, and atrocities should be abolished from any upcoming MK game. They bring down the value of the game, with the exception of brutalities - they kinda show a person's intentions on how they think of you.

19. Endings should not be little pictures with words on the bottom. If they want me to do this, I might as well read a book. I want some action (with sound and quality voice acting). Something much better than the crappy quality of south park, goddamnit!

20. I understand that the creators of Mortal Kombat want their game to be unique. But the way they are doing it, especially after MKII, isn't cutting it. They need to look at the success of the other franchises to understand why they are getting successful in the first place. Filler characters make it seem very redundant and showed less of an imagination from Midway. Kano is an example of this, he has an eye laser beam that could be utilized in many ways. But in adding many male and female ninjas, Kano's potential as a deadly villain has not even been tapped - almost like eye candy. I mean seriously, look at the movie, Kano didn't even use his optical laser (Cyclops utilizes his weapons better). Kano was a total pussy in his only fight scene in the movie. So, what Midway has allowed was make Cyclops (from X-Men, mind you) more deadly than Kano. You've gotta be kidding me. Even if Cyclops's optic shit is bigger than Kano, Kano should still be deadier because of his evil "intent". He's also a fight first ask questions later type of individual.

21. Online play is a must! Also, penalties against a person whose system mysteriously shuts off or a person who connection sucks (that's right, if your net connection sucks, don't bother going online!) should happen. Turning off your system during a fight that youre about to get your ass kicked in should result in an automatic loss. Usually, it's dumb kids who do this. I don't give a damn about those who disagree with this. If you lose, lose honorably goddamnit.

22. If they follow this recipe for a perfect game, then Mortal Kombat is going in the right direction. That direction.......is up. Without a doubt.

deathrider
TMK Power Overwhelming
TMK Power Overwhelming

Items

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 pm   
Post subject: Re: I agree to disagree with you on that, my dear Watson!

Kombatant22 wrote:
I
I want the absolute best from whoever is making the next Mortal Kombat game. I speak for many of my fellow gamers when I say that I deserve to get what I paid for from buying an MK game!

Quote of the year right there!!
I like this guy.

Sethiroph
TMK Elder God
TMK Elder God

TMK Koins: 890

Items

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:08 am   
Post subject: Re: I agree to disagree with you on that, my dear Watson!

deathrider wrote:
Kombatant22 wrote:
I
I want the absolute best from whoever is making the next Mortal Kombat game. I speak for many of my fellow gamers when I say that I deserve to get what I paid for from buying an MK game!

Quote of the year right there!!
I like this guy.

If we don't get a great Mortal Kombat game, then Midway will have to answer to us......in MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

Albert Simon
Demon Slayer
TMK Sage

Items

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:28 am   
Post subject:

LOL Sindel seems more popular than I thought. Although 3 had 14 characters that was a lot at the time it was made. 1 and 2 had less. Also Stryker made his debut in 3 and he is also a filler among fillers.
I really would rather not get into a huge argument about whether Sindel is a filler or not. Lets just say I will say she is and you will say she isn't.
Kitana is pretty much a filler. Look at her ending in MKDA, even Hsu Hao's ending had more to do with the story. Is asked to describe Kitana's ending in 5 words I would say, "Filler character goes to funeral."

Whether Sindel is a filler or not would you not agree that Hotaru definitely is the one who should have that place in Puzzle Kombat? Arrange is the exact thing you would imagine his ability being in Puzzle Kombat.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  
|