Mortal Kombat: Conquest
Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins
Mortal Kombat: DOTR

Cast
Video Cast Bio's
Game Cast Bio's
Cast Interviews

Google

All Kontent is ©Total Mortal Kombat 1999 - 2014 and may not be used on another website without permission from the webmaster.

totalmortalkombat.com Forum Index -> Mortal Kombat Classics Discussion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Goto page 1, 2  Next  
 Vote: Your opinion of cocky/arrogant players. View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of skilled MK players that are cocky/arrogant?
Just because they're good at the game doesn't mean they walk on water.
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Some people need a life...
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Being skilled or winning does not excuse bad sportsmanship.
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
What does it matter? It's a free country!
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
If someone is good enough to make you look bad enough, they deserve the right to say whatever they want.
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
I'm one of the "cocky" people you're talking about and this poll won't change my attitude one bit.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

Dreamcatcher
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

TMK Koins: 45

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:05 am   
Post subject: Vote: Your opinion of cocky/arrogant players.

Personally, I can't stand the attitude of some players in any of the Mortal Kombat games. Pathetic, some of them...

l{ombat_l{rave
TMK FanFic Kreator
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 999999999

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:07 am   
Post subject:

Good topic my friend. I've fallen to modesty myself, and have always been disgruntled by the 't-baggers' as the modern arrogant gamers are called. I chose the 'skill does not exclude bad sportsmanship' choice. Good use of a poll by the way.

Ínformatíos sumus memorías æternus.

~Totus Moratlís Kertamen

doug
Mortal Kombat Is Back
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 2147482747

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:31 am   
Post subject:

The ones who are cocky just don't really have a life they just try to brag and get all cocky just to make themselves feel like there the best and no one else is greater then them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ChibiHana
Hentai Connoisseur
TMK Master

TMK Koins: 1820

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm   
Post subject:

I think that people who brag about their conquests in games and whatnot are trying to make up for their shortcomings in other areas of life.

either that, or they're like my friend Mike, who makes competition out of everything, even eating soup, and has to be "the best" at everything.

*shrug* they don't really bother me either way, because at the end of the day, it's just a game and it's most likely not gonna have any effect on who you are as a person or what you make out of your life.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jabbawocky
Elder God Jabbawocky
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 2210

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:57 pm   
Post subject:

I'm not regularly cocky because when you are and it goes wrong you look stupid. But sometime you just can't help it.

Dreamcatcher
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

Items

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 am   
Post subject:

Thanx for the feedback, guys...I just realize I put this poll in the wrong topic lol. It was supposed to be in "General Discussion" but I got sidetracked reading about Shock brag all through another topic on this thread, thus was motivated. Sorry, but thanks again.

EWAShock
TMK Sage
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 2147483647

Items

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:05 am   
Post subject:

How misguided. Sorry that was my cockiness, now my arrogance wants to speak...give it a second to take over...

OK..Arrogance here. Listen up foo, I'll own you in any MK game any time any place.

In all seriousness, do you make sure to read the context of my posts? Generally if I make comments about gameplay skills it's because someone else is claiming they are the best and can beat everyone having played virtually no one, which is something I never do. It's a really shallow tactic and anyone who does that cannot compete with the better players. Anyone who knows me would say the exact opposite of you.

Cockiness says: There ya go son, he just made ya famous.

Dreamcatcher
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

Items

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:19 am   
Post subject: EWA Shock's cockiness, arrogance, AND ignorance.

EWAShock wrote:
How misguided. Sorry that was my cockiness, now my arrogance wants to speak...give it a second to take over...

OK..Arrogance here. Listen up foo, I'll own you in any MK game any time any place.

In all seriousness, do you make sure to read the context of my posts? Generally if I make comments about gameplay skills it's because someone else is claiming they are the best and can beat everyone having played virtually no one, which is something I never do. It's a really shallow tactic and anyone who does that cannot compete with the better players. Anyone who knows me would say the exact opposite of you.

Cockiness says: There ya go son, he just made ya famous.

I'm just going to dissect your own speech for you.

I am one of the best UMK3 players in the world.

www.darktemplarz.com/umk3matchvids

Look for Shock.

Fair enough. It is true in my opinion that you are. I suppose you felt that "proof" was necessary...or perhaps needed the adoration and comments that would follow your immediate viewers.

You should come out to a tournament sometime in NJ.
Yes, I won't deny that MiguelSix went the extra mile by naming nine of his "untouchables"...but it seems more like a dog protecting his territory. Where is his claim of playing against human opponents? You assume. You attack. It's your game. Just because you have played "virtually more" skilled people grants your arrogance and cocky rights? If you don't agree, you don't realize. If you do know, you preach.

I am literally ranked #3 in the world at UMK3 as of the last tournament which contained a high percentage of the best players in the world. I don't play anything else in MK.
Just answering MiguelSix's question...understood. However, I literally laugh when I read this part the second time around. So, if a person is to not use "shallow tactics", they aren't arrogant or cocky in throwing out statistics and video links? Are they not elitist either?

smoke-ish wrote:
omfg duude iam probally THE MASTER at mk2 for the snes i beet the game a load of times i have beat smoke,noob,and jade all kinda hard and it was cool.....but the other games except for mkt i sucked.....

Which means you probably wouldn't last 15 seconds with a MKII professional, since playing the CPU means nothing.

I agree with your reply.

This is a list of everything I can remember, all UMK3, it's the only MK game I play, no MKII, that is a child's game, no 3D MKs, they are terrible and broken.

In 2001 I was in a tournament for UMK3 at University Pinball for NEC2, on horrendous sticks, and I placed 6th. My friend Ryan (The Prophet R.I.P.) placed 2nd. This was my first official tournament.

2002 there were unofficial UMK3 tournaments at March Madness, and Summer Jam, and NEC3 I believe, as in a bunch of guys just played with no money or order. I was there for all of them.

2003 Summer Jam, ECC8 had a UMK3 tournament which I did not attend unfortunately because I didn't know about it, NEC4 MKT unofficial Tournament.

2004 we were going to hold a UMK3 tournament at NEC5 but Prophet was taken ill and we could not make it. ECC9, I placed 3rd in an official UMK3 tournament.

2005 February unofficial tournament at the Break, ECCX placed 3rd in another official tournament which included Lex, Moe and Thrower from Chicago, 3 of the best players in the world, NEC6 I placed 1st in a semi official tournament (just a lack of overall players) but there was money involved and few good players.

2006 Placed 1st in unofficial tournaments at Clash, and Breakdown at 8 on the Break, and placed 1st in ECCXI official UMK3 tournament in May of this year (1 month ago exactly), which contained several high level players. NEC7 will happen later this year.

There is footage of me and other players all over www.darktemplarz.com/umk3matchvids . Look for Shock/Sin Combo Videos can be found at www.darktemplarz.com/combovideos

I use the ECCX tournament as a bench mark because it included those earlier mentioned players, all 3 of which are better than the people I played in the last big tournament this year, in which I placed 1st, so I at least maintained my spot so to speak. Some people might have considered it just for fun, but when there's money involved, that is almost never true, and official ranks become of value based upon placement per tournament.

The UMK3 scene (or lack thereof) is a very touchy one, as there aren't a lot of players around still (more are coming up all over the place however) but it's still like big games in the case of MvC2, where if a guy doesn't show up to a tournament who placed 1st, he can still be considered the best until there is reason to believe he is not, or retired. You have to really be "in" on the scene to get a full picture of it. Fortunately with UMK3, it can be so cut and dry. The guy I beat in the finals is loosely considered as a higher end player because he can use Kabal in a very tacky fashion, beating most (99.9%) of the players there are. There were other exceptional players in the tournament, so it wasn't a total wash. Had I lost to him, I would have been very, very, very angry. There however still might be players I know of waiting to come out of the woodwork who need some polishing off once the game is reborn. I hope it happens.

The length you'll go to supply evidence seems more than sufficient...alike mine, A for effort. I see the need for most of it.

Show up a tournament and prove yourself.

I agree. matt.3001 was a reason why I created this topic.

In all seriousness, do you make sure to read the context of my posts?

In all seriousness, I did. Believe it or not, I do have respect for you and fellow skilled players in general...but I do not support the need for dense factual evidence or pushing elitism to rule over obvious attention-seekers. Please don't assume I created this topic because you; although reading your posts motivated me, I was not attempting to hinder your name. I agree and disagree with you, like everyone else. In the end, it's just a poll. And (no offense) I'm pretty sure I know if you voted, your choice is clearly the fifth.

EWAShock
TMK Sage
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 2147483647

Items

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:31 am   
Post subject:

I knew you would post that stuff, so I can point out that you do not realize all of that was intentionally done to get people to come out to tournaments. As in, to participate and get them to be there rather than just talk about it on forums. It has nothing to do with my actual skill, but players do put me on that pedestal. All I care about is getting people out and them playing others in person as the game was intended, in fact I didn't even play in the last tournament that was held, I ran it. I then played the winner of the tournament afterwards in a bunch of matches. I played everyone in casuals throughout the night. Showing people links to serious match videos is great incentive and motivation to want to be part of that as well. I guess you basically bought the persona, I should work the mic more in wrestling.

And anyway, I selected 3, I am not a cocky player in person, I am cocky on message boards as a ploy to get people heated and hyped and support the community. It has worked in the past with big players. However I do know the types of players you are talking about and I think DreemerNJ knows exactly who I am referring to, as in someone who can win matches against good players, and still talks trash during, and brags afterward.

finalfreak1
TMK Temple Monk
TMK Temple Monk

TMK Koins: 0

Items

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 am   
Post subject: [b]Stupid question[/b]

Are you guys talking about tournament play or online play? I haven't played online yet (I have to make and network the link for my computer and console.) Is there a place online that I can say I'm a bad player to mediocre player, I mean I can beat all my friends on mkda on up, but suck at the earlier games. The first mk game I beat was MK1 on the sega hand held something, but decent at the newer games. Can I get online and play players online at my skill level? I know that EWAShock is talking about tournaments, but I meant overall.

I posted here because I took the poll. sorry if this question is in the wrong forum. Smile

Dreamcatcher
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

Items

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:24 am   
Post subject:

EWAShock wrote:
I knew you would post that stuff, so I can point out that you do not realize all of that was intentionally done to get people to come out to tournaments. As in, to participate and get them to be there rather than just talk about it on forums. It has nothing to do with my actual skill, but players do put me on that pedestal. All I care about is getting people out and them playing others in person as the game was intended, in fact I didn't even play in the last tournament that was held, I ran it. I then played the winner of the tournament afterwards in a bunch of matches. I played everyone in casuals throughout the night. Showing people links to serious match videos is great incentive and motivation to want to be part of that as well. I guess you basically bought the persona, I should work the mic more in wrestling.

And anyway, I selected 3, I am not a cocky player in person, I am cocky on message boards as a ploy to get people heated and hyped and support the community. It has worked in the past with big players. However I do know the types of players you are talking about and I think DreemerNJ knows exactly who I am referring to, as in someone who can win matches against good players, and still talks trash during, and brags afterward.

Understood. Let's move on.

Protoman
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

TMK Koins: 0

Items

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:12 pm   
Post subject:

I will never forget when I was young, there was this guy who use to play MK1 in the arcades that bragged about how he could do Raiden's Fatality with one punch (Pretty much he was doing his teleport and doing the motions before reappearing infront of the opponent), he even said if we payed him, he would teach people. Ho-hum. Almost more then 16 years ago... wonder where that guy is now..?

DarkSpecter
MORTAL KOMBAT
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 285

Items

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:25 am   
Post subject:

I absolutely love Mortal Kombat. But Im not one of those ridiculously good players. In fact, Im just standard when it comes to playing any MK game. Laughing

I do find it somewhat unsettleling when gamers act like "yeah im the shit". But I managed to not allow any chats nor mic features to stay active. I care little what anyone has to say.
It really sucks because this really tears us apart as people. It really does.

You think its just gaming banther but it can actually get quite serious.

If youre that good, congrats. But relax. Youre not a hero aka youre not saving this world from any real issues so dont act the part unless youre looking to be the bad guy on your turf. (which got very redundant back in 2000 when everyone wanted to be mr.im a bad boy) yet youre still living with your grandmother..

For games like MK, SF or racing games, theres got to be some form of competitiveness, however, you will find the game to be more enjoyable with a small amount of cocky dribble and not overly swollen amounts of it.

All in all, since I dont game hardcore because I have much to consider in my life, non of this really bothered me too much. Just annoying like a fly.
meh..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dreamcatcher
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

Items

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:35 am   
Post subject:

DarkSpecter wrote:
I absolutely love Mortal Kombat. But Im not one of those ridiculously good players. In fact, Im just standard when it comes to playing any MK game. Laughing

I do find it somewhat unsettleling when gamers act like "yeah im the shit". But I managed to not allow any chats nor mic features to stay active. I care little what anyone has to say.
It really sucks because this really tears us apart as people. It really does.

You think its just gaming banther but it can actually get quite serious.

If youre that good, congrats. But relax. Youre not a hero aka youre not saving this world from any real issues so dont act the part unless youre looking to be the bad guy on your turf. (which got very redundant back in 2000 when everyone wanted to be mr.im a bad boy) yet youre still living with your grandmother..

For games like MK, SF or racing games, theres got to be some form of competitiveness, however, you will find the game to be more enjoyable with a small amount of cocky dribble and not overly swollen amounts of it.

All in all, since I dont game hardcore because I have much to consider in my life, non of this really bothered me too much. Just annoying like a fly.
meh..

Must have been quite the annoying fly in order to type four paragraphs in response to it.

DreemerNJ
TMK Temple Monk
TMK Temple Monk

TMK Koins: 65

Items

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:41 am   
Post subject:

The distinction should probably be made between hardcore meaning good at a game or hardcore meaning spends a lot of time on the game. Many of the really good players don't spend a lot of time playing it, but when they do, they will usually learn more than a casual player from that playing. Likewise there are a lot of people that play games a lot and are terrible at them. Especially when it comes to MK since so many fans of the series just want blood and guts.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  
Goto page 1, 2  Next |