Mortal Kombat: Conquest
Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins
Mortal Kombat: DOTR

Cast
Video Cast Bio's
Game Cast Bio's
Cast Interviews

Google

All Kontent is ©Total Mortal Kombat 1999 - 2014 and may not be used on another website without permission from the webmaster.

totalmortalkombat.com Forum Index -> Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks Discussion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    
 Is it really worth to get? View previous topic :: View next topic  

Johnnsen
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

TMK Koins: 15

Items

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:36 pm   
Post subject: Is it really worth to get?

I thought about it again and again and I dont know if it is worth to get. Since I hate the konquest mode of the mk games and the adventure tries wherent that good, I really dont know if this is good.

Any advice?

VainZiler
True Fighting Fan
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 777730

Items

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:12 am   
Post subject:

Personally, I rather loved MKD's konquest mode.

But as the wether or not SM is worth it, it's debatable. If you didn't like the play style of MKA's konquest, then you wont really care much for SM. And if ou care about the story being like that of how events occured in the Mk series, then you wont like SM, as it really messes with the story a bit.

But as its own game, it's really fun and enjoyable, and the VS mode is a nice touch. Plus you can unlock the arcade version of MK2 on it, which is another fine bonus.

willro14
Sub Zero and Coldplay Fan
TMK Defender

TMK Koins: 0

Items

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:21 pm   
Post subject:

yes, its worth to get it, it gives another perspective to the mk world

ˇˇˇSALUDOS DESDE COLOMBIA!!!

TangLung777
TMK Temple Monk
TMK Temple Monk

Items

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:18 pm   
Post subject:

I haven't played this yet. I'm definitely going to get it soon. Looks fun.

ChibiHana
Hentai Connoisseur
TMK Master

TMK Koins: 1820

Items

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:26 am   
Post subject:

another thing to consider is this is absolutely a two-player game. there are things that you can only unlock using co-op mode, and versus mode isn't against the computer, it's against player 2.

so if you don't have anyone to play this game with, you're not gonna be able to enjoy it at full potential.

taking that into consideration, it really is a fun game. it's easy to pick up and you get to have that oh so desired social interaction that we often don't find while playing video games. =)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DarkSpecter
MORTAL KOMBAT
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 285

Items

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:31 pm   
Post subject:

Im playing this game at the moment! Smile

MK Shaolin Monks is an ok game. Its definitely not top notch when comparing it to games like God Of War or Metal Gear, etc. But its the best MK story type game out there right now.
Im not sure how significant that is considering the MK team had very little luck with these types of games in the past.

The games graphics are ok, perhaps a little better than ok. The colors are sharp. But the character models look like the stuff from way older games. Not even up to par with their 3d fighter counterparts.

The game itself can be fun at times but also very frustrating. I've ha days where i screamed out so much profanity and then there were days where i was like, i love this game!

All in all, it really depends on you. Its not like G.O.W where youre constantly amazed or mezmorized to be bored or mad. This game will need your help in the realm of patience. Because I sure as hell dont have it sometimes and damn. I've come very close from popping the cd out and breaking it in half. Very Mad

Anger management issues? I thought so too. But wait till you try it. BlaBla

10.00 dollars at most. Go on ebay and buy it there. Maybe even for less. I got mine for 14.00 brand new last year. But I only wanted it for MK2.
The rest actually felt like a mini game to me. Its just not polished enough to stand on its own two feet. And thats my honest opinion.
I look for superiority. Im tired of adding grains of salt to every MK game that comes out. They need to step it up several notches like the people at Sony with their G.O.W games. Neutral

Imagine if they made an MK game with range like G.O.W??? DaaAAmn. That would be POWERFUL. Very Happy

Heh..Yeah.. if youre an mk fan that has reasonable patience, you may enjoy this game. Its got its moments. But dont pay more than you have to. For 10.00 bucks or less, you can't complain. Its a worthy game to add to your MK lineup. Unlike Special Forces...omg.. Puke

Oh and BTW... always remember that in the MK universe, theres literally no such thing as canoncy anymore. lmao... Really!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

VainZiler
True Fighting Fan
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 777730

Items

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:12 pm   
Post subject:

THe only thing that bothered me about your view on the game was it's constant comparison to God of War. Two seperate games entirely. And it's not even the same genre as Metal Gear, so the comparison is a bit odd.

The models are old looking due to them being based on the MK2 outfits. I am curious to know what parts challenged you in this game to have that reaction though; trust me, you're talking to a guy that spends more money on new controlers then he does new games, but MK:SM wasn't that difficult.

And the reason why you can be amazed constantly in God of War, is because the game isn't even long enough to get bored of it. My fastest time completing that game on the hardest mode was 4 hours in one go.

There never was much canoncy to begin with in MK when you think about it. In MK1 Raiden was a God that was bored and entered the Mortal Kombat tourniment for a challenge, and once he beat everyone he blew up the earth. Then suddenly in Mortal Kombat 2, he's this heroic leader helping out the Earthrealm warriors.

If they made a game like God of War, I would cry out of sickness... don't curse MK like that, God of War isn't even worth $10... at least MK:SM has replayability, God of War doesn't.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh on some things, but for some reason your comparison seriously bugged me.

DarkSpecter
MORTAL KOMBAT
TMK Sage

Items

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:09 pm   
Post subject:

LOL, I knew I was pressing the God Of War comparison a bit hard.
For me, thats just where I came from in terms of things I really enjoyed playing. The details in GOW and Metal Gear like lighting, story sequence quality, and a few other itty bitty things, were basically what i was using as base comparison. Not the actual game play.
Im well aware those two differ almost completely next to eachother.

But Im a big Kratos fan at the moment. Those guys really went the distance in creating a solid game. Level designs were amazing. 3D models were top notch. Sound quality at its best. All that goodness was kibbles of fun for me.
I have to applaud you though for dancing through that game in 4 hours in spartan mode! damn!!

The last game i played for hours straight was Super Metroid years ago.

For MK Shaolin Monks, the issues I had with the game were endless because of my low patience level. Little things like me pressing block and the character still getting knocked out because i guess it takes a short mili second for the model to actually start blocking hits. The mechanics of running against walls to reach the other end. Also things like getting hit once means you can get hit twice or more even when youre already down.
And those are only the insignificant gripes.

I felt like I could sense mediocrity from a mile away sometimes too.
Just the feel of it in general didnt really strike me as real quality gaming from beginning to end, however, there were respectable moments throughout. So dont get me wrong. I dont hate the game. But theres good times and bad times in my experience.

Oh and by old looking, I meant the way they rendered the 3d models.
And how they were animated too. They seemed a bit stiff and blocky at times. The textures are low res.
There were times when Raiden's forehead was popping out because of rendering errors. (normally his head is cover in a black ninja like cloth under the hat).

Im tellin ya, i thinks its an alright game. Just not cutting edge like it could have been.

You can say Im really hard to please now a days. But I have also learned how to take things in with a grain of salt. To tolerate them and say, "yeah..that was ok, but hey, atleast its MK".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

willro14
TMK Defender

Items

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:32 pm   
Post subject:

the only thing that i hated was the final fight, ooooo i tried almost 20 times to beat these three BlaBla BlaBla BlaBla

DarkSpecter
MORTAL KOMBAT
TMK Sage

Items

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:24 am   
Post subject:

I think I hate this game now. Im in the Foundry level trying to toss those cheap shot baddies in between the hammers. Theres no real strategy here. Just plain luck. I hate that. I wish there was a sure shot way of getting through this. But Im doing it all by shere luck. Tossing them at random times because its not like you can just stand around and wait while theyre beating you senseless.
Blocks are limited which sucks to me.

Yeah, im sorry. But you should really consider renting this before you buy it. To be quite honest with you, its really nothing special. Only if your a completist, then yeah, spend hard earned money. But if not, rent it.
You might like it, or like me, you might hate it. Very Mad

willro14
TMK Defender

Items

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 pm   
Post subject:

yeah, you should rent it, if you see that you like it, buy it, or if not, only gain the satisfaction of play the game

Khemeleon
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

Items

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:05 am   
Post subject:

I loved this game and beat it to 100% and have enjoyed it it is a great game.

Issac
TMK Visitor
TMK Visitor

TMK Koins: 245

Items

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 am   
Post subject:

Got it not to long ago, but haven't gotten to far in it but its fun so far. MKD konquest was pretty fun to but this one is a bit more interactive.

Jay
An Empty Shell
TMK Sage

TMK Koins: 900755

Items

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:42 am   
Post subject:

In my opinion, Shaolin Monks is not worth past 20 dollars. It completely disappointed me, but that's because I'm the type of person who plays for certain reasons. For instance, I play Mortal Kombat solely for its storyline. And I'm not even that good at it. But some people just want to play because it's an M-rated fighting game with lots o' blood.

So here's the break down:

Mechanics - easy to learn, easy to control, easy to master
Gameplay - fun, but repetitive. and it can be challenging
Graphics - better than it's past adventure games, but not as good as the main installments.
Plot/Story - cheesy dialogue, doesn't stick to the main MK storyline, but it's still a decent story on it's own.
Replayability - you probably can play through 2-3 times and get a kick out of it each time.
2nd player - it's meant for two people, but you can still have fun playing by yourself.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  
|